Gambian security forces have arrested even more LGBTI people, reports Fatou Camara, a journalist and former Gambian official who fled to the United States:
- Right now about 16 are in detention; they have still not been released nor charged.
The security forces of Gambian strongman Yahya Jammeh began their latest round of anti-gay arrests in early November. For details, see the articles below.
Jammeh is virulently homophobic, often referring to LGBTI people as “vermin,” “satanic,” a threat to population growth, “anti-god, anti-human, and anti-civilization.”
- Gambia plans life sentences for gay ‘repeat offenders’ (Sept. 8, 2014, 76crimes.com)
- Report: Gambian arrests, detention, search for gays (Nov. 13, 2014, 76crimes.com)
- Report: Total of Gambia’s anti-gay arrests reaches 8 (Nov. 15, 2014, 76crimes.com)
- Gambia must stop wave of homophobic arrests and torture (Nov. 19, 2014, 76crimes.com)
- UNHCHR alarmed at LGBT arrests, detentions in Gambia (Nov. 20, 2014, 76crimes.com)
- Gambia: Life Sentence for ‘Aggravated Homosexuality’ (Nov. 21, 2014, 76crimes.com)