Best wishes to artist/activist Vince Laws, who hopes to stage another face-paint protest of 76-plus countries’ anti-gay laws — this time in London in February during the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, where the crackdown on LGBT people continues. His proposal on Facebook:
I’d like to create BANNED in London in February 2014 to coincide with the Sochi Winter Games (Feb 7-23)… i.e. face paint 76+ people to represent the 76 countries where homosexuality is illegal, plus hopefully a few more so we can include the other dodgy countries like Russia, where it’s not illegal, but human rights are being trashed. I need a venue, and a little bit of funding.
Maybe tie in with an existing LGBT History Month event? Any leads, suggestions, welcome. Kaleidoscope Trust, Peter Tatchell, QX Magazine, GScene Magazine, LGBT Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans History Month UK, Boycott 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Russia. Feel free to share.
He has previously organized such protests in Brighton and Norwich.
- Gay rights activists stage campaign against ‘shocking’ Coca-Cola sponsorship of Sochi Winter Olympics (pinknews.co.uk)
- Pride protesters link Russia, 76+ countries’ anti-gay laws (76crimes.com)
- 76+ painted faces protest 76+ countries’ anti-gay laws (76crimes.com)
- BANNED: Face-paint protest of 76+ countries’ anti-gay laws (76crimes.com)
- Greg Louganis urges American athletes to protest Russia’s anti-gay law (upi.com)
- Obama selects gay athletes for Sochi Olympic delegation (pbs.org)